For the best results there are a couple of things to do first.
Step One: the flavour is better if you can soak the dates overnight in the water and molasses. If you dont have time the day before – boil the water and pour over the chopped dates, place in freezer until cool (about 1 hour) use this time to do step 2.
Step Two: Sift General purpose (plain flour) with the low sodium baking powder 6 times using a large strainer or sieve.
Step Three: Preheat oven to 375F or 180C then grease and line the base of your loaf pans.
Mixing the cake
Ingredients: Measurements in imperial and (metric)
- 3 cups General Purpose Flour (Plain)
- 6 level teaspoons Low Sodium Baking Powder (less than 450mg/tsp)
- 2 Sticks sweet butter (225gm unsalted butter) you cannot use margarine for this recipe as it
contains too much salt
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- ½ cup Date Sugar
- 1/3 cup Molasses
- 4 Eggs (large/70gms per egg)
- 12 oz Chopped Dates (400gm)
- Water (enough to cover dates in a measuring cup to 800ml total volume)
Photos and recipe copyright by Colleen (tummyluv) in Ria’s kitchen.